MAKING GLOBAL GOALS LOCAL BUSINESS MIDDLE EAST 2019
Organized by the United Nations Global Compact and Global Compact Network Lebanon (GCNL), the Making Global Goals Local Business (MGGLB) forum in Lebanon brought together regional and global leaders from business, civil society, government, and Global Compact Local Networks in the Middle East to catalyze a collective action affecting the Ten Principles and the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). As a precursor to global discussions on regional SDG progress taking place later this year, this event was an opportunity which portrayed leading examples of multi-stakeholder collaboration that stand as a strong model for others looking to partner at the Regional Level.
The Making Global Goals Local Business Middle East was hosted under the patronage and in the presence of H.E President of the Council of Ministers Mr. Saad Hariri who described Lebanon’s overall progress towards the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the UN 2030 Agenda. We were equally proud to have CEO & Executive Director of the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC) Ms. Lise Kingo as our keynote speaker who came all the way from New York to share her seminal experience at UNGC and reveal the best practices which we can adopt locally. Similarly, our inauguration included key interventions from President of the Global Compact Network Lebanon and Member of Parliament Dr. Dima Jamali, UN Resident Coordinator Mr. Philippe Lazzarini and Minister of Environment Mr. Fadi Jreissati.
The MGGLB Forum included several panel discussions, which tackled different aspects pertaining to sustainable development and achieving the UN 2030 Agenda. The panels covered the following themes to ensure an inclusive understanding of sustainable progress in Lebanon: The National Poverty Target Plan by GCNL’s SDG Council, Partnerships between the Government, Businesses, and International Agencies, Ambassadors’ interventions regarding sustainability, Fireside chat between Global Compact Network Lebanon and Global Compact Network Turkey, and the Youth’s role in advancing the SDGs.
The event also introduced a Zero Plastic campaign by Mr. Ragheb Alama, honored the Milestone Award Winners, released the newly published book Zooming on SDG Trends in Lebanon, and congratulated our 2019 SDG Pioneer Mr. Marc Torbey-Helou.
Don’t forget to watch the video below that summarizes our flagship event!
- H.E. Mr. Saad Hariri, Prime Minister of Lebanon.
- MP Prof. Dima Jamali, President of Global Compact Network Lebanon
- Ms. Lise Kingo, CEO & Executive Director of United Nations Global Compact
- Mr. Philippe Lazzarini, UN Resident Coordinator
- Mr. George Khabbaz, Actor, Director, Writer, Comedian, and Theater Professor.
- H.E. Mr. Fady Jreissati, Minister of Environment Zero Plastic initiative
- Dr. Lina Dada, Founder and President of Ajyalouna
- Mrs. May Makhzoumi, president of Makhzoumi Foundation
- Mr. Marc Audi, General Manager and Board Member of Bank Audi
- Mr. Khalil Daoud, Chairman and Managing Director of LibanPost
- Mrs. Raya Raphael Nahas, General Manger and Board Member of Banque Libano-Française
- H.E. Mr. Chris Rampling, Ambassador of UK to Lebanon
- H.E. Mr. Jörgen Lindström, Ambassador of Sweden to Lebanon
- H.E. Ms. Rebekah Grindlay, Ambassador of Australia to Lebanon
- H.E Mr. Jan Waltmans, Ambassador of Netherlands to Lebanon
- H.E. Ms. Violette Khairallah Safadi, Minister of Economic Empowerment for Women and Youth
- H.E. Dr. Richard Kouyoumjian, Minister of Social Affairs
- Ms. Haneen Ismail Sayed, Lead Social Protection, Jobs and Gender Specialist, MENA Region (Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq, Syria and Iran), World Bank
- Ms. Celine Moyroud, Resident Representative of UNDP
- Mr. Moez Doraid, UN Women Regional Director
- Mr. Ahmet Dördüncü, Chairperson, Global Compact Network Turkey
- Mrs. Dina Harake, Executive Director of Global Compact Network Lebanon, Co-Chair of the Middle East Regional Network Council
- Ms. Natalia Menhall, Founding Partner and Chairwomen of Beyond Reform and Development
- Mr. Youssef Fawaz, Chairman of Al Majmoua & 2018 SDG Milestones Winners
- Ms. Yukie Mokuo, UNICEF Representative in Lebanon
- Mr. Nadim Abdo, Director of Strategic Planning of Arc-en-Ciel
- Ms. Mariam Farag, Head of MBC AL AMAL, the Corporate Sustainability and Social Impact arm of MBC Group
This year, we were proud to have added a new segment to our Making Global Goals Local Business Middle East Forum which is the 2019 Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Felicitations that has lightened up the mood between the different panel discussions.
This segment included many inspiring surprises and edutaing performances that our kind guests were looking forward for amidst the climate of suspense we created.
This year, we seized the opportunity to honor the successes of our partners & network members, while celebrating Global Compact Network Lebanon’s very own achievements for this year.
We will proudly announce the winners of the 2019 SDG Milestones Awards to highlight the exceptional progress that GCNL member companies have made towards alleviating the social and economic challenges in our country. Similarly, we will recognize on stage this year’s SDG Pioneer along with the three other finalists.
Furthermore, we will be releasing the newly-published Zooming On SDG Trends book which commemorates the wholesome achievements of our network in reinforcing the SDGs.
But that’s not all ! There as still many other leaders, influencers, and performers that you will be dying to meet. Eager to know who they are? Tune in to all our social media platforms for weekly revelations.
We are expect to see you this October at the Grand Serail for a 2019 SDG Felicitations like no other!
SUBSCRIBE TO NEWSLETTER
And get notified about latest news, events and more.