Global Compact Network Lebanon is looking for an Executive Director
United Nations Global Compact:
The United Nations Global Compact is the world’s largest corporate sustainability initiative counting with more than 9,500 companies and 3,000 non-business signatories based in over 160 countries, and with more than 70 Global Compact Local Networks (GCLNs) around the globe. Launched in 2000, the United Nations Global Compact is a call to companies to align strategies and operations with ten universal principles on human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption, and to take actions that advance societal goals.
Global Compact Network Lebanon:
Global Compact Network Lebanon (GCNL) is one of the 68 Local Networks around the world that operates through a signed Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the UN Global Compact HQ (HQ). We are an independent and self-managed entity with the unique mandate to provide direct local support to UN Global Compact participants based in our respective country with direct communication and guidance from UN Global Compact HQ. Global Compact Network Lebanon (GCNL) works closely with the UN Global Compact (UNGC) headquarters to provide opportunities for learning, policy dialogue, and partnerships on the Ten Principles of responsible conduct and the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Summary of the position:
Head of the Local Network Secretariat and reporting to the Local Network’s Board of Directors, the Executive Director of Global Compact Network Lebanon is responsible for overseeing and executing on the Network’s mission as well as managing all programs. The Executive Director’s responsibilities also entail ensuring the smooth running of all operational/administrative aspects of the Local Network including human resource management, financial management, and event management as well as safeguarding the integrity and governance of the organization. The Executive Director is expected to liaise regularly with the Global Compact Office (GCO) and ensure alignment with the UN Global Compact’s policies and Local Network Quality Standards. As the highest-level executive of the Secretariat, he or she has a minimum of seven years of experience in project or programme management related to the Network’s programmes and mandates, including managing and supporting multi-stakeholder initiatives. Experience in corporate sustainability, or international development is strongly desired.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Overseeing and executing GCNL’s strategy, value proposition and associated programmes
- Representing the GCNL within the UN Global Compact as well as externally vis-à-vis companies, Governments, UN, media and others
- Advancing thought-leadership in current and emerging areas of corporate sustainability
- Reporting to the GCNL Board and managing Board relations including taking and presenting minutes of all meetings; and collecting and circulating any relevant information to the Board
- Managing the day-to-day operations of the GCNL, including human resources, budgeting and financials, participant communications, event management and fundraising
- Overseeing recruitment and retention activities including pitching the Local Network’s value proposition and supporting Global Compact companies and other organizations’ efforts in meeting reporting requirements
- Maintaining regular communication with GCO, responding to GCO consultations and reporting requests, ensuring full alignment with Local Network Quality Standards, and safeguarding UN Global Compact’s integrity and brand
- Overseeing the organization of the annual General Assembly and maintaining mechanisms to feed participant feedback into GCNL strategy and programmes
- Managing strategic partnerships including with other UN agencies
- A minimum of seven years of experience in development work
- Relevant experience from working in or with the private sector
- Solid understanding of the UN Global Compact’s Ten Principles and enthusiasm for the Sustainable Development Goals and the opportunities they represent to business
- Excellent networking and interpersonal skills and ability to represent the Global Compact Network in high-level events and meetings
- Experience in managing a team and engaging with a professional Board of Directors
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including full proficiency in English
- Proven ability to deliver presentations to senior leadership and high-level partners.
- Integrity: Demonstrates the values of the United Nations in daily activities and behaviours; acts without consideration of personal gain; resists undue political pressure in decision-making; does not abuse power or authority; stands by decisions that are in the Organization’s interest, even if they are unpopular; and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behavior.
- Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Respect for Diversity: Works effectively with people from all backgrounds; treats all people with dignity and respect; treats men and women equally; shows respect for and understanding of diverse points of view and demonstrates this understanding in daily work and decision-making; examines own biases and behaviours to avoid stereotypical responses; and does not discriminate against any individual or group.
- Monthly Compensation: 10 to 12 million Lebanese Liras
- Communication and Transportation allowances
- Annual vacation as per the Lebanese Law
- NSSF and Health insurance
Please send a detailed CV and letter of intent to [email protected].
All emails sent without a letter of intent will not be considered.
And get notified about latest news, events and more.