Target Gender Equality
Triggering a behavioral long positive organizational change with respect to women’s corporate representation and leadership.
Target Gender Equality is a gender equality accelerator programme for participating companies of the UN Global Compact. Through facilitated performance analysis, capacity building workshops, peer-to-peer learning and multi-stakeholder dialogue at the country-level, Target Gender Equality will support companies engaged with the UN Global Compact in setting and reaching ambitious corporate targets for women’s representation and leadership, starting with the Board and Executive Management levels.
Companies participating in Target Gender Equality have the opportunity to deepen implementation of the Women’s Empowerment Principles and strengthen their contribution to Sustainable Development Goal 5.5, which calls for equal women representation, participation and leadership in business globally. Companies will be equipped with the latest data and research supporting the business case for gender equality and gain insights from UN partners and experts on how to accelerate progress on gender equality.
Global Compact Network Lebanon and Global Compact Network UAE are joining forces on the Target Gender Equality Global Impact Accelerator within the MENA Region to mobilize a regional corporate movement aimed at fostering gender parity within the private sector
- Confidently set ambitious and realistic corporate targets for gender equality demonstrating commitment and action to your employees, investors and other stakeholders
- Understand your current gender equality performance through the facilitated use of the Women’s Empowerment Principles Gender Gap Analysis Tool
- Engage in accelerated learning opportunities specific to your country context
- Build a network of peers, UN partners and experts to support your gender equality strategy and work collectively to tackle persistent barriers to gender equality.
- Showcase women in your company who are driving business success, sustainability and contributions to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
Women don’t lack drive, they lack funding
Alarming facts that will be leveraged during the accelerator:
- At the current rate of progress, the global economic gender gap will close in 268 years
- Women are only represented by 25% in national parliaments
- Women are only represented by 36% in local governments
- Women are bearing additional household responsibilities during the pandemic
- 41.5 of women with a university degree are either unemployed or out of the labour force, while only 17.2% of men are in a similar situation
Why achieving Gender Equality is now more important than ever?
- Gender parity must be perceived as an urgent need and a corporate priority. It is a moral duty and an operational necessity.
- The meaningful inclusion of women in decision-making results in boosting the effectiveness and productivity of the entire corporation. It brings new perspective to the table, unlocks greater resources and strengthens efforts.
Tools of the TGE Accelerator
The Women’s Empowerment Principles (WEPs) are a set of Principles offering guidance to business on how to promote gender equality and women’s empowerment in the workplace, marketplace and community.
Resources of the TGE Accelerator
Findings in this data deep dive are based on the Annual Implementation Survey and CEO Study of the UN Global Compact – the world’s most comprehensive insights on business contribution to the UN Sustainable Development Goals to date. Topic spotlights provide latest insights and reflections on gender equality, LGBTIQ+ protection and systemic racism from business leaders from around the world.
Family Friendly Policies
Guides employers in implementing family-friendly policies that support parents and caregivers in their own operations and using their influence and leverage to promote such policies among business partners and within their supply chains.
Local Participating Companies
Why your company needs to join today?
You can also find the Video Target Gender Equality: Taking Action in Response to COVID-19, a co-developed TGE Video that features representatives from all 19 TGE LNs, GCO staff, and colleagues from partner organizations such as UN Women, UNICEF, the UN Human Rights Office, IFC, and WE Empower.
TGE Global Coalition
TGE Global Opportunities
Target Gender Equality LIVE
Regional Breakout Session featuring Gender Equality edge cutting experts from across the MENA Region
Join the conversation on Twitter
And get notified about latest news, events and more.