Compassion and a strong moral compass are essential to every democratic society. Yet, persecution, injustice, and abuse still run rampant and are tearing at the very fabric of civilization. We must ensure that we have strong institutions, global standards of justice, and a commitment to peace everywhere.
- Target 16.1:REDUCE VIOLENCE EVERYWHERE:
Significantly reduce all forms of violence and related death rates everywhere.
- Target 16.2: PROTECT CHILDREN FROM ABUSE, EXPLOITATION, TRAFFICKING, AND VIOLENCE: End abuse, exploitation, trafficking, and all forms of violence against and torture of children.
- Target 16.3: PROMOTE THE RULE OF LAW AND ENSURE EQUAL ACCESS TO JUSTICE:
Promote the rule of law at the national and international levels and ensure equal access to justice for all.
- Target 16.4: COMBAT ORGANIZED CRIME AND ILLICIT FINANCIAL AND ARMS FLOWS:
By 2030, significantly reduce illicit financial and arms flows, strengthen the recovery and return of stolen assets and combat all forms of organized crime.
- Target 16.5: SUBSTANTIALLY REDUCE CORRUPTION AND BRIBERY:
Substantially reduce corruption and bribery in all their forms.
- Target 16.6: DEVELOP EFFECTIVE, ACCOUNTABLE, AND TRANSPARENT INSTITUTIONS:
Develop effective, accountable, and transparent institutions at all levels.
- Target 16.7: ENSURE RESPONSIVE, INCLUSIVE, AND REPRESENTATIVE DECISION-MAKING:
Ensure responsive, inclusive, participatory, and representative decision-making at all levels.
- Target 16.8: STRENGTHEN THE PARTICIPATION IN GLOBAL GOVERNANCE:
Broaden and strengthen the participation of developing countries in the institutions of global governance.
- Target 16.9: PROVIDE UNIVERSAL LEGAL IDENTITY:
By 2030, provide legal identity for all, including birth registration.
- Target 16.A: ENSURE PUBLIC ACCESS TO INFORMATION AND PROTECT FUNDAMENTAL FREEDOMS:
Ensure public access to information and protect fundamental freedoms, in accordance with national legislation and international agreements.
- Target 16.B: STRENGTHEN NATIONAL INSTITUTIONS TO PREVENT VIOLENCE AND COMBAT TERRORISM AND CRIME:
Strengthen relevant national institutions, including through international cooperation, for building capacity at all levels, in particular in developing countries, to prevent violence and combat terrorism and crime.
- Target 16.C: PROMOTE AND ENFORCE NON-DISCRIMINATORY LAWS AND POLICIES:
Promote and enforce non-discriminatory laws and policies for sustainable development.
Want to learn more on how to use these twelve targets to create action to promote peace, justice, and Strong Institutions? Visit: https://www.globalgoals.org/goals/16-peace-justice-and-strong-institutions/< Back to SDGs